Thursday 28 March 2013

A Changed Life

   I talk, often, about Uganda and all the amazing things that God is doing there. Clearly that is where my heart and my passion is, which is great, however it is important to not lose sight of the amazing things that God is doing right in front me...in MY city. I am going to tell you a story about a man named Chase Gibson and how God changed his life.

   Chase, and his twin brother Cooper, was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Just like many boys, Chase grew up loving sports and had dreams of becoming a professional athlete when he grew up. In middle school, Chase sadly got caught up with the wrong crowd that took him down a path that wouldn't help him achieve his dreams, but instead, would destroy them. Between the ages of 12 and 18 Chase found himself in and out of juvenile hall, groups homes, into drugs, alcohol, and slowly watched as his big dream began to disappear. 

   As I was listening to Chase tell his story of all the chaos and struggle that he was going through, I asked him if there was a moment in the midst of all the stress, that he saw any glimpse of hope. He told me that there was one time when he was in jail that he remembers specifically. Chase told me that he remembered being really scared and overwhelmed by all that was going on around him. He was extremely stressed out. There was a church service that took place in the jail that really touched his heart. It was the ONLY moment where he felt peace. Chase felt peace in the presence of God. That would be a moment, a feeling, that he would never forget...in fact, a presence that would change his life forever. 

   Chase watched as his brother Cooper became a professional MMA fighter and watched him succeed in the dream that Chase once had. The drugs no longer were able to fill Chase in the way they once did. He was determined to pursue the dream in his heart once again. At age 20 Chase joined the gym his brother was training at, True Warrior Fitness. It was at that gym where Chase learned true discipline and to never give up. Chase is under the training of Toby "Tigerheart" Grear. Toby not only trained Chase in MMA but also influenced him to be a better man. Through Toby's perseverance and consistency, Chase's dream became alive again. Training with Toby gave him hope that he had a future if he worked hard enough. Chase said how grateful he is that Toby never gave up on him. He got a second chance and place to learn and grow.

   Toby not only encouraged Chase in the gym, but also to go back to church, where he would experience the presence of God like he did before. Oasis Church is where Chase calls home. That is where he feels fulfilled and encouraged in his daily walk with God. Chase told me that as he kept going to church he realized that God is for him, that God is on his side. He said,

"Church 100% helped me with my fighting. It helped me deal with my fear and anxiety. I learned to forgive, which is something that was hard for me to do. The empty spaces in my soul which I used to fill with alcohol, I now fill with Jesus. I learned to give all my fears to God, He is in control. I learned to see things for what they are, and have hope for the future. I know that no matter what, God is on my side."

   Chase is now 23 years old and an undefeated MMA fighter. He not only wins fights physically, but spiritually. Every obstacle that comes his way, he overcomes with God on his side. Thanks to Toby, who believed in him, and our God who never gave up on him, Chase is a changed life. You can find Chase on facebook with the name Chase "First Born" Gibson. Be sure to check out his page. You will also find Chase every Sunday at Oasis Church during the 6pm worship experience. Chase's next fight is the second week of May. Come support Chase and see the work that God has done in His life.



   I am so grateful for Oasis Church and all the lives that are being saved everyday because of the work that God is doing through the church. I am proud of the pastors, Philip and Holly Wagner (Dad and Mom) for leading by example. They won't get to hear all the stories of the lives that were changed because of their obedience to God, but I want them to know how proud I am of them and how excited I am to be apart of the journey with them. 

"Jesus! Thank you so much for second chances...and third and forth... Thank you for loving us and protecting us. Thank you for never giving up on us. Even though we all make decisions that hurt you and our destiny sometimes, you have never left us. Thank you for dying on the cross so that we could be forgiven and spend eternity with you. We love you. Amen."




   

   

1 comment:

  1. Milli Amen Jung31 March 2013 at 01:18

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete