Sunday 1 June 2014

An Act of Manipulation

   I woke up dreading the day I was going to have. Today was the day that we went to see Bogere's Aunt's home in Mblae. I did not want to go see this woman, I did not want leave my children with her, and I did not want to just give in to her ridiculous demands. I went to Smile Africa first thing in the morning to get Bogere, his sister Gloria, and their baby brother Philip ready for the journey ahead of us. I quickly bathed them all and dressed them in comfortable clothes. I was rushing to pick everything up so I really did have time to be sad, or really think about what was going on. As soon as the van arrived, the children and I got inside and drove to pick up Pastor Ruth. Ruth wanted to also take Esther with us, so we all got ready and we left for Mbale. 

   As we began our long journey to Mbale the children just played in the van. They were laughing and playing games with each other, all except Bogere. Bogere just sat quietly next to me. He is old enough to know what is going on and I think he was a little scared as to why we were driving to see his aunt. To be honest, I wasn't 100% sure why were doing this either. I knew that she was just trying manipulate us and use us. This aunt does not actually love these children. I know it for a fact. 

   All of a sudden it started pouring rain! I have never seen it rain this much. We could barely see out of the windshield and everything was really slippery. Then it started to hail! I held onto the children tightly as the van made its way through gushing streams of water. Ruth was a little scared that we would get stuck, I was scared we might tip over, but thankfully we made it out.

   Finally we arrived safely at Bogere's aunt's home and we all got out of the van hesitantly. We made our way to her home and we all sat down on the couch. I was looking around and I saw 3 bedrooms and a kitchen, so I thought "ok, I guess this isn't THAT BAD." Ruth and her were conversing in the aunt's local language and then all of a sudden Ruth stood up and said, "This is not her home!" And she demanded that we see her real home. We walked around to see Bogere's aunt's home and I was surprised. This lady is the biggest liar I have ever seen. First of all, she wanted us to believe that the nicer home was her own, lie, she also told us that her children have grown and so now she has room for Bogere and his siblings, another lie! This lady has 10 children and the youngest looks to be around 2 years old. Something fishy was going on here. 

   We took Bogere, Gloria and Philip to see the home. I couldn't believe my eyes. This lady was sleeping in a very small room with her husband and her 10 children! And on top of that, she wanted to take 3 more children into her home?! NO WAY! I was angry at her selfishness. 
(Click to Enlarge)

   After we took this picture it started to rain again. Bogere and his siblings rain to the van to wait there for us. I did not want them to be near this lady anyway. Once we stared talking, it was all a bunch of demands from her. She wanted us to build her a home, or pay her rent, or do this or do that, then eventually she told us to take her twins back to City of Lights Baby Home. It was just one demand after another and we had to refuse everything she asked for. Had this lady had a different approach other than manipulation, I would have helped her with her children, even though she tried to put me in jail 2 years ago. However, with these demands of hers, I have to refuse any help. Ruth got very annoyed with her and we took our children and we left. It was obvious that this lady was not acting out of love, but out of greed. 

   It was a very long day of fighting for my children. I needed to protect them and I will do that until the day I die. I love these children more than words can describe and I will do the best I can to not let anything bad happen to them. On the drive home Bogere seemed sad. We talked a little bit and he told me that he did not want to stay with his aunt. I told him not to worry, I would not let that happen. Bogere put his head on my lap and fell asleep the whole way home. I held onto him tightly and prayed for him and his siblings the whole way home.

"Thank you Jesus for your strength! Thank you for giving me a fighter's spirit. I pray that you will continue to protect these children. I am going back home in just 3 days, so please keep them safe while I am away from them. Help them make good decisions and please help the aunt know that what she is doing is wrong. Thank you for your love and your grace and your patience. I love you! Amen."




  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Paris, that's heart wrenching. Tears are still running down my face. So well said and everything you write about your time their is so detailed that I feel like I'm almost their as well. As a mother, I would fight till the day I die for my children as well. I admire your strength in God and how well you handle such difficult situations. You and everyone else on your team are such a blessing and changing lives everyday. The world needs more people like you out their. Good Luck girl and God Bless you and keep you safe on the rest of your journey and way home! Much Love, Carie Feasby

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG Paris, be loving with a big sword! I am thankful you are walking it out and speaking for these children when no one else is. It makes a difference. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete