Tuesday 16 April 2013

Awakening

   There was a moment when I was 15 years old that I will never forget. It was a moment that changed my life forever...I just didn't know it then. I went to Uganda for the first time. I walked into a babies home and was instantly struck with a huge love for Ugandan babies. One of the workers in the home placed a small baby girl in my arms. Her name was Hope. Hope was badly malnourished and abused, her mother tried to kill her at birth, so Hope was brought to this babies home. As I heard Hope's story and held her tiny body in my arms, my heart was instantly attached to, not just Hope, but every single orphan baby that calls Uganda home. Here is a picture of when they put little Hope in my arms for the first time...you can see just how sick she is. And my 15 year old self...with braces...NOT CUTE! ;) (click to enlarge)

   I spent a few summers with Hope and watched what God can do with a willing heart and home full of people to love and restore a baby back to health. Here is a picture of Hope and I just last year (6 years later). You can clearly see the benefit of having a healthy environment to grow up in. This shows you what love, Jesus, and a home that cares can do. (Click to enlarge) 


    When I went to Tororo for the first time...the same thing happened. There was a 6 year old girl that was carrying her baby brother on her back. My eyes met hers and we smiled at each other. This young girl walked over to me and placed her baby brother in my arms. I held this tiny little boy and my heart started pounding. He was so small. Clearly malnourished and sick, my fingers could feel his bones. My heart broke. THIS IS NOT OKAY. Not only do I love the Ugandan children, but now it went beyond loving them, to rescuing them. I needed to put an end to this. No baby should have to live this way. My love grew to determination. I was determined to put an end to the abandoned orphan crisis. It was this determination that awakened a dream inside my heart, a dream that I didn't know would come to life just months later. Here is a picture of that moment...the moment the vision began in my heart. (click to enlarge)

   The dream is getting bigger...the babies home is getting bigger! I am so excited to see the growth of the baby home! I remember the moment when I held that little baby boy and then I see the baby home and my heart gets excited! My love grew to determination which grew to action. More babies like the one in the picture above will have a place where they can be loved, treasured, rescued, and restored. My heart's dream is coming to pass, God's plan is happening....how exciting! 

   Here are a couple pictures of City of Lights Baby Home progress. This place is going to be BIG! I am so excited for all the babies that will get a second chance at life. (Click to enlarge) 


   I am in awe of all that God is doing in Tororo, Uganda. The baby that you saw in the picture above, will have a place to call home. Not just him, but so many other babies will be protected in this home. This really is a dream come true and this is the first of many...I just know it

"Thank you Jesus for stirring something up inside me. Thank you for breaking my heart for things that break yours. I pray, Jesus, that you will continue to move inside my heart to take action. Give me the strength to never give up even when it gets tough. Please protect your babies and keep them safe while their new home is in the making. I love you! Amen." 


No comments:

Post a Comment