Sunday 28 April 2013

Facing Fear


   I woke up in the morning so excited to start my day! I was back to my old routine and I loved it. I was looking forward to my walk to Smile Africa. I thought about all the people that I would see that I made a relationship with the last time I was here. Before I left for Smile Africa, I washed a few of my clothes and hung them outside to dry…just like old times. Then I began my walk.

   During my walk I never once got lost. I remembered everything about this town. It was all so familiar. I waved to a few of the kids as I walked by them and I just kept smiling at all the familiar places and people. As I was walking, I heard my name being shouted from across the road. It was one of the policewoman that I had met while I was here last time. She was standing in front of the police station, the jail, which almost became my home. I stopped and looked at that jail and all the memories began to flood my mind. I thought about walking over to it, but I chose to just keep walking instead. I waved to the policewoman and I continued on. Here is the picture of the jail. (Click to enlarge).


   Once I reached the town, I saw more familiar faces. I just smiled and waved at everyone that I remember as I kept on walking toward Smile Africa. I had the biggest smile on my face as I journeyed through this familiar place. Just then I saw a face that I was hoping to never see again…Bogere’s step father was right down the street from me, directly in front of me. My smile instantly left my face. My eyes met his and no one moved. It was a terrible feeling. Chills shot through my body. This terrible man murdered Bogere’s mother, attempted to kill Bogere, and threatened to kill me…and he was standing 20 feet from me. At this moment I just froze. My heart began to beat and my body filled with anger. We just stared at each other.

   Finally, I took a deep breath, prayed quietly and walked on toward to Smile Africa. I quietly said to myself, 

"God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind."

   I chose to face my fear and not let him stop me from doing what God had for me to do! This man was standing in the direction that I needed to go, so I was walking right toward him. My eyes were glued to his as I walked toward him. As I got closer to him, he smiled and waved at me. I was so annoyed and confused by that gesture. I thought,

“You have got to be kidding me! Who do you think you are! Don’t you smile and wave at me! You wanted both Bogere and I dead!”

   I just walked by him and continued in the direction I was going. It was such a strange moment for me. I mean, what are the odds that I would run into him on the 1 day that I would be walking around Tororo. Memories began to flood my mind. I thought about all the things that Bogere and I had been through together with this man. I thought about all the injustice that was happening because of him. I realized that thinking about all the bad things that happened because of this man were not going to solve anything. So I prayed and told God that I forgave him…again. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I have forgiven him.

   Later that day I took Bogere and Betty to play at Jesse and Rachelle Digges’ house. They are my American friends that I had become close with while I was in Tororo the last time. They have 2 little girls who my kids love to play with. It was a great afternoon together. We got to catch up and let the kids play together. It was so much fun to see them and be with them again.


   Although there was a minor set back, it was a great day. I loved every second that I got to spend with Bogere and Betty. It didn’t matter to me what we did, as long as I was with them, I was happy. Bogere and Betty had such a great day too. They laughed and played pretty much the whole day. I didn’t leave them at all. I only have one more day with them, so every second counts.

“Thank you Jesus for allowing us to have such a great day together. Thank you for keeping me safe as I walked through the town. I pray that you will soften my heart towards Bogere’s stepfather. Please continue to keep me and the kids safe. We love you! Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment