Tuesday 30 April 2013

Saying Good-bye

   As soon as I woke up, I could not wait to go to Smile Africa and spend my last few hours with my children. As soon as I arrived at Smile, Betty and Bogere both came running over to me to give me big hugs! I loved every second of it. We then walked to get Caleb. When Caleb saw me, he came running over to me and I picked him up and held him tightly. I walked around Smile Africa and said good-bye to all the staff and teachers. They were all so surprised that I was leaving so soon. It was a really short trip, but I am grateful for any amount of time that I am able to spend with these kids.

 
   Since it was our last day, I decided that I would take Betty, Bogere, and Caleb to go get ice cream. As we walked out of Smile Africa, I was carrying Caleb and holding Betty's hand. Bogere stayed close to my side. As we were walking down the road Betty was telling me stories of school and all that she had learned. In the middle of her story, she stopped and said,

"Look! Do you see that man? That is my uncle!"

   I looked to where she was pointing...yes...that's right...Bogere's step father was there. This time, I was not scared, but annoyed. I did not stop walking, instead, I took Bogere's hand and kept walking full speed ahead. I looked at that man with a very intense expression. One that said,

"Come near my children, you die!"

   I was not in the mood to deal with this man at all. It was my last day and I wanted it to be a good one with my kids. I stared that man directly in the eyes as we walked by. I walked by with great confidence. I had so much adrenaline going through my body that had he tried to do something, I'm convinced that I could have knocked him out. Add the fact that he was drunk and I've had professional training...and he would have been toast! Haha! Anyway, we walked by him and he didn't dare touch me or my children, so we continued on to the store. We got the ice cream and headed to Rachelle's house so that I could say good-bye to her and her girls. I was really going to miss them.

   Once everyone had their ice cream, it was time to go back to Smile Africa. It was my last hour with them. Everywhere that I went, they stayed close by my side. We sat in the office together and they drew me pictures. I loved every single one. All 3 of them have grown up so much! I know that the next time that I come, they will be even healthier.

   Finally, it was time to go. I can't even explain to you how hard it is to have to say goo-bye to these children. In just the 3 days that I got to spend with them we got closer. I'm telling you, it's just not natural to have to say good-bye to your children. I hated every second of it, and so did they. I looked at Betty and held my arms out to her. She ran to me and burst into tears. I did the best I could to not cry as well. I stayed strong and held her close to me. I hugged her tight and explained that just like last time, I would come back to her.


"I love you so much Betty! You are such a beautiful, amazing girl and I will come back. I promise."

   Bogere watched as I said good-bye to Betty. I could see that he was trying to not cry or get emotional at all. Once I let go of Betty, Bogere came over to me. I picked him and I held him tight. My heart was breaking, and so was his. I could not believe that I was already saying good-bye to my boy. It broke my heart. I did everything I could to keep myself from crying. I needed to stay strong, for him. I looked at him and said, 

"I am going to come back to you, I promise. I am so proud of you Bogere! You are such a good boy and I love you so much!" 

He said, "I love you so much." Then he put his head on my shoulder and gripped onto me as tight as he could. 


   This was by far the hardest part of my trip. I hate doing this! I never want to say good-bye to these children...ever. I told them both that I would be back, and it's true! I said that the last time and I came back. So I know that they trust me. After I said good-bye to both of them, I went and gave Caleb one last hug. As the teacher took him from me, he scream and cried. It was so hard to see all 3 of my children so upset. 

   As the van drove away, I looked out the window and saw them one more time. I closed my eyes and said a quick prayer for them. Then I could no longer see them. It was going to be hard for everyone for the next couple days, but I know that they will be just fine. I can't wait to see them again soon. 

"Thank you Jesus for giving me this opportunity to come to Tororo, Uganda and spend time with these children. I have loved every second with them and I am so grateful for the time that we had together. I pray that you continue to keep them safe and healthy. Please protect them from any danger. We love you. Amen."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment