Friday 23 May 2014

Hit the Ground Running

   We had a very long day to say the least! When I said that we were going to hit the ground running, I was not joking. As soon as we woke up we went straight to the police station, a place I know well. There was a very sad situation that we needed to attend to. A 16-year-old girl, that I know, was being detained for questioning because her 2-month-old son had been strangled to death. Pastor Ruth, Lisa Ibarra and I went down to the police station to find out the truth of what happened to this baby boy. After many hours at the police station we were told that we needed to go to the hospital to get specific paper work in order so that we could have a proper burial for the baby. We had gone back and forth from the police station to the hospital a few times and finally got everything in order.  We still do not have a 100% truthful answer on what happened to this baby, but I trust that God will reveal the truth.

   While we were waiting for the documents from the hospital regarding the baby, we went to town to buy mattresses for the new baby home and food for the grand opening. Then finally we went to Smile Africa. I had not yet seen Bogere, Caleb or Betty, so I was really looking forward to seeing them, especially after a morning like we had. Once I arrived at Smile, Bogere was the first one to greet me. Bogere came running to the van and I jumped out and picked him up and held him close. I was so happy to have him in my arms again. It had been way too long since I had seen him. As I am carrying him, Betty comes running up behind me. As soon as I turn around, Betty jumps in my arms! It was so great to be with my kids again.



   I then found baby Caleb and picked him up and took him with us to open up presents that I had brought for them. They loved all of their new clothes and toys. I was so happy to be reunited with these children again and see them smiling and laughing. Lisa and I were then able to sort through the baby clothes that were so generously donated to these babies. It was so much fun to give all the babies new outfits.


   After we spent a few hours at Smile Africa, we got a phone call from the doctors saying that the documents for the deceased baby were ready. Mama Ruth, Lisa and I went to the town and purchased a tiny coffin and drove to the burial site. My heart broke into a million pieces as the men and women wailed and cried for the life of this baby boy. I saw his tiny body being placed in the coffin and my heart ached. Pastor Ruth said a prayer and we buried him. It was a terrible, devastating moment. I find comfort knowing that this sweet baby boy is now safe with Jesus. The ride back home was a very silent one. No one really had any words to say.

   This was just day 1 of a 2 week journey. I know that I am right where I belong. This is where I am supposed to be, back in the red dirt of Tororo, Uganda. I am so excited for all that God has in store for me this trip.


“Thank you Jesus for your unfailing love. Thank you for loving us unconditionally, no matter our mistakes. I pray Jesus that you will send your peace to the family of your baby boy. I pray that you will continue to make me strong through this trip. I pray that you will continue to use me to be your hands and feet. Thank you for this opportunity to be in Tororo and love on all your children. I love you. Amen.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow…May the Lord equip you daily emotionally, mentally, spiritually and physically each day I pray your cup if filled to overflowing. Truly this is your calling. It's so exciting to read all that is happening, especially your reunion with your children. You are the arms of Jesus as you embrace each one of those special children.

    ReplyDelete